HomeWhat is Western Southland?PlacesTrailsEventsAccommodationThings to DoUser LoginUser Login
 
Home > Business > View Entity
 
 


 

 
 
 
  

Click on any photo to show an enlarged version.

Your contact at St Mary's Anglican Church: Rev Jean Soper
Contact number: +64 032348 875
Alternative contact number: +64 032348 663
Additional contact details: Rev Leah Boniface

Address: 173 Palmerston Street
Riverton

Postal address: 36 Leader Street
Riverton

Directions: see map

Website: http://calledsouth.org.nz

Send an E-mail to St Mary's Anglican Church:

 
 
St Mary's Anglican Church
 

St Mary's historic church is located opposite the focal point at the approach to the bridge over the Aparima River.

A Eucharist Service is held at 10.00 am every Sunday.

The pioneering Bishop of New Zealand, George Augustus Selwyn first visited Riverton in 1844 having walked from Waikouaiti. He baptised children and married couples at Paulin’s Hotel, where Anglican services were usually held.

In 1860 the first meeting to build a church was held and the first vicar, Rev W F Oldham was appointed. It was another two years before the first church was built by Messrs Bryden and Cooke for £217 and consecrated as ‘The Church of St Mary the Virgin’. By 1878 the church was in a bad state of repair and was also too small.

However, a replacement church is not so urgent as a first church, so even though a foundation stone for the new building was laid in 1881, progress stopped. The last service in the old church was held on Sunday, 5 January 1902 and a week later on 12 January the new church was dedicated by the Bishop of Dunedin, the Right Reverend S T Nevill. Its present site near the bridge over the Aparima River dominates the town from whatever approach one makes.

This ‘new’ building has served the town well since then with only routine repairs being needed until recently. The church spire was covered with copper sheathing in 1966 and in 1967 a new vestry was added on the north-east side.

This listed historic building will shortly undergo major restoration to repair damage caused by weather and time.

We offer a warm welcome to all who wish to take part in our weekly service of praise and thanksgiving.

The Association of Anglican Women (AAW) meet on the second Monday of each month for fellowship and social activity. For more informaton please contact Betty Eade on 03 2348 323.

These are the businesses and places of interest that St Mary's Anglican Church supports or are happy to affiliate themselves with (shown with blue markers):

- Riverton Union Church (center the map)

This business appears on the following trail(s):

- Riverton - Aparima Heritage Trail

 

 

All content (except where stated) copyright (c) WSPAI. Design and build by NZTRI.
View our Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.