HomeWhat is Western Southland?PlacesTrailsEventsAccommodationThings to DoUser LoginUser Login
 
Home > Business > View Entity
 
 

 

 
    

Click on any photo to show an enlarged version.

Contact number: +64
Alternative contact number: +64

 
 
Tinkertown
 

William Tinker and his five sons started the first coal mine in the area in 1916.

Aptly named Black Diamond it was located on their farm. A little village of about 25 families grew up near the mine.

The Tinkers built a swimming pool and a hall adapted from an old barn. Enthusiastic Tinkertowners constructed a live hare coursing ground, named Plumpton, probably the only one in Southland. It lasted a few years and closed when the sport was declared illegal.

 

 

All content (except where stated) copyright (c) WSPAI. Design and build by NZTRI.
View our Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.