Established in the 1860’s, Otautau is located halfway between Invercargill and Te Anau, approximately 45 minutes West of Invercargill. Known as “The Heart of Western Southland” with a population of approx 880, the main industries for the town are timber, dairy and sheep farming.
Other industries include a joinery factory, furniture showroom and gift shop, supermarket, pharmacy, hairdressers, 2 hotels, mechanical repairs, servicing and sales, electricians, plumbers, builders, 2 farm supply depots, veterinarians, accommodation, 7 day dairy and fast food outlet.
Otautau also offers excellent fishing and hunting facilities with the nearby Aparima River, Longwood Hills and numerous other lakes, rivers and mountain ranges within a short distance.
This small rural community has a wide variety of sporting groups and facilities available including golf, squash, indoor/outdoor bowls, rugby, netball, tennis, a solar heated swimming pool and a very modern sports complex.
Other recreational groups and amenities include Holt Park, Motor camp, Community Playground, an upgraded Town Hall, Garden Club, Floral Art Group, Patchwork Group, Creative Arts Trust, Museum, Rest Areas and Public Toilets to name a few.
Be sure to check out the Otautau & Aparima Valley blog for more information on Otautau.
More information towards the bottom of the page.
Where to stay in Otautau:
- Harbison Backpackers (center the map)
- Holt Park Campground (center the map)
What to do in Otautau:
- Otautau Museum (center the map)
- Western Southland Floral Art Club (center the map)
- Hump Ridge Jet-Wairaurahiri Adventures (center the map)
- Pourakino Picnic Area (center the map)
Groups and Organisations in Otautau:
- Otautau Toy Cupboard (center the map)
- Otautau Community Development Co-ordinator Worker - Zola Ayson (center the map)
- Aparima Playgroup (center the map)
- Otautau Patchwork And Craft Group (center the map)
- Otautau Senior Citizens (center the map)
- Otautau School (center the map)
- Western Districts Country & Variety Music Club (center the map)
Businesses in Otautau:
- Central Garage (Otautau) Ltd (center the map)
- Otautau Joinery (2005) Ltd - Factory (center the map)
- André Bekhuis Construction Ltd (center the map)
- Otautau Joinery (2005) Ltd - Showroom (center the map)
- Booth Ag Ltd (center the map)
- Otautau Vets Limited (center the map)
The Township is supplied by a town water supply and a recently installed sewerage system.
Otautau is serviced by a vibrant Lions Club, Volunteer Fire Brigade, St John’s Ambulance, NZ Police, Victim Support, Otautau Medical Centre and Trust, District Nurse, Community Development Co-ordinator, Plunket Society and a Scout and Cub Pack.
Educational Facilities are provided by a modern Year 0-8 School, Playcentre, Kindergarten (at nearby Drummond), Toy Library, Aparima Playgroup, Plunket Music and Movement and Jumping Jacks playgroup. For further education bus services are run to Winton for Year 9-13 at Central Southland College or to Invercargill where a number of schooling options are available.
Check out our new blog as well -
Up Coming Events:
The Otautau Courthouse was built in 1908. In past years it housed the town’s library, before the library was shifted into the Otautau offices of the Southland District Council.
During 1995 four rooms within the courthouse were given over to the Otautau Museum and Historical Society, then the Courthouse was given to the Otautau Heritage Trust. It has been reopened as an arts centre and museum.
Open: Sundays 2 – 4 pm and other times by arrangement